Re: Another case of "getfh failed: Operation not permitted"

To: Jarkko Santala <jake@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Another case of "getfh failed: Operation not permitted"
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 15:10:34 -0500
Cc: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>, "linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
> On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Seth Mos wrote:
>
> > kgcc is a must for production systems. That is why I had put it in the FAQ.
>
> Yep, I read it and that's why I tried it. ;) The linux/Makefile did claim
> the standard RedHat 7.1 gcc to be usable though...
>
>       -jake

There is an updated compiler from redhat, they released an update and
there is an even more recent one in rawhide. I regularly compile with
these and do nfs exports - it has been a long time since I used the
original 7.1 gcc though, and I cannot say I ever compiled that
particular code combination with that compiler. The fact that different
build architectures exhibit different compiler issues does not help
either. For the record I am running the cvs kernel compiled with
gcc-2.96-88 on a dual processor i686 kernel. I have nfs exports from
this box. Oh, another variable is if you build in kdb and tell it to
put frame pointers in the kernel, this chews up more registers and
changes the code quite a bit, I do not use the frame pointer option.

Steve