Re: [OT] XFS and FreeBSD?

To: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OT] XFS and FreeBSD?
From: cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 12:26:54 -0500
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Seth Mos wrote:

> The biggest concern of most BSD people is that XFS would need to be
> licensed under the BSD license, Unfortunately the people at SGI had a hard
> enough time to convince them to use the GPL license as it is. I don't think
> they will switch licenses because it takes huge efforts to do so.

read: huge = any
SGI has no business interests in XFS on anything but IRIX and Linux
and the also have a business inters test in XFS not ending up on things
like Solaris, AIX... etc etc.
It's questionable how much protection the GPL provides in preventing
competitors from using the technology, but up to this point most vendors
are afraid enough of the virus to choose abstinence as the preferred form
of protection. So the GPL is a good choice for SGI at this time.

> it would be possible to use the GPL code in BSDs but you would probably
> need a fs layer interface to seperate the two. This makes it possible to
> use XFS as a GPL piece of code without needing to change the license. But I
> might be wrong though, I am not really at home in the BSD side of the world.

The BSDs us plenty of GPLed software most notably all the gnu devel tools
gcc, gdb etc  additionally has some GPLed kernel code  e.g. /sys/gnu/ext2fs
The trick is make clear lines in the sand as to what commercial ventures using
BSD  code can an can not ship.
It is entirely possible to  have a GPLed version of  XFS
for the Free BSD distributions by make clear dividing lines.

Additionally the BSD boot loader is smart enough to load kernel modules prior
to booting the kernel which would allow for XFS to only live as independent
GPL infected module but still keep the core kernel protected.

> However due to the nature of XFS and it's interactivity with the VM this
> would be a huge effort to port to BSD. It would take a lot of time to make
> it work.

Actually since the BSD vfs/vnode/VM interface is much closer to IRIX  it
shouldn't be nearly as much work.