Re: Patch for linux 2.4.6-ac* series?

To: Michal Kozlowski <kozmomike@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Patch for linux 2.4.6-ac* series?
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 13:28:09 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Hi, I was wondering if someone could provide some hints on creating a xfs
> patch for the 2.4.6-ac2 kernel.  I know the SGI team doesn't support it
> since Alan can release way to many updates, but I'm willing to try and get
> the 2 going together.  I want to try the hpt370 raid-0 with xfs on it.
> How much effort would something like this take?  I've modified source code
> many times to get things working but never attempted something like this.
> Maybe if I get good at this I could release regular updates, but for now I
> just want 2.4.6-ac2 to work.  Thanks for all you help,
>
> Cheers
> Mike Kozlowski
>
> 4th Year CPSC,
> University of Calgary,
> Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Well, your best bet would be to take the base kernel from kernel.org,
and then get the xfs patch from here:

ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/download/patches/linux-2.4.6-xfs-07052001.patch.bz2

Apply this patch, then remove kdb from the tree, this will be the hard
part, there is a 2.4.6 kdb patch here:

ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/kdb/download/ix86/kdb-v1.8-2.4.6.gz

it will leave some junk behind which you should probably clean up.

Then attempt to apply Alan's patch on top of this, the combination of
ac2 and kdb may be more than you want to attempt which is why I suggest
removing it.

An alternative would be to use the tree created by removing kdb to create
an xfs without kdb patch for the Linus kernel, then apply the ac patch
followed by the xfs patch. I am not sure which method will produce the
cleanest tree.

Good luck!

Steve