Re: aid to iso download

Subject: Re: aid to iso download
From: "D. Stimits" <stimits@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 18:27:04 -0600
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Alistair Lambie wrote:

> On 05 Jul 2001 17:42:01 -0500, cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Nathan Straz wrote:

> > > Here's an old FTP trick, append a .gz to any filename on an FTP site and
> > > the FTP server will gzip it for you.
> > >

> > Good idea (I'll check to make sure oss is configed to do this)
> > but I doubt this will save space,
> > every file on the iso is already compressed.
> > So about the only space to be gained would be in
> > the cd9660 file system, which I very small to start with.
> >

> I thought it wouldn't save much either, but I just did it on
> RH7.1-SGI-XFS-1.0.iso and it went from 299MB to 221MB.
>
> --
> Alistair Lambie                                    alambie@xxxxxxx
> SGI Global Product Support                   Phone: +64-21-635 262
> New Zealand                                    Fax: +64-4-234 8792

The machine I hope to start the download on tonight receives at 26.4
kbps. Hmm. 78 MB might help :P

The .gz notes show it runs max compression, so I'll use that if a gzip
-9 isn't available. It would still be quite useful to have a
precompressed image, since the cpu load to do a -9 compression is
"significant", and a one-time compression is probably the better
solution.

D. Stimits, stimits@xxxxxxxxxx