Re: aid to iso download

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: aid to iso download
From: Martin Stricker <shugal@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 02:22:36 +0200
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx

"D. Stimits" wrote:

> Nathan Straz wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 04:15:26PM -0600, D. Stimits wrote:
> > > Being that the ISO images are rather large, it might be nice to
> > > have a duplicate of each current ISO available that is the gzip
> > > version.
> >
> > Here's an old FTP trick, append a .gz to any filename on an FTP site
> > and the FTP server will gzip it for you.

> That is a nice trick. But one other thing...I doubt it would use the
> -9 for maximum compression.

Be happy to get any compression... OTOH rsync is a nice tool to download
huge files: It can resume the download and even repairs damaged
downloads by only redownloading the damaged/missing parts. Drawback: The
server needs to support rsync (Question to SGI staff: Does oss.sgi.com
support rsync?) See http://rsync.samba.org/ for details.