Re: Kernel Version

To: Krzysztof Rusocki <kszysiu@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sven Koepfer <s.koepfer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Kernel Version
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 19:30:12 +0200
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
At 14:07 4-7-2001 +0200, Krzysztof Rusocki wrote:
On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 11:04:04AM +0000, Sven Koepfer wrote:

Hi,

CVS tree is currently based on 2.4.6-pre9 and as only Steve gets some time
XFS will be merged with official 2.4.6 (for CVS instructions visit
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/).

This is also explained in the FAQ. I also added a link to the faq 2 weeks ago that points directly to the Makefile in CVS which has the kernel version number in it.

You can also get patches at ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/download/patches/
- actually I do not know status of any of these so the safest way would be
grabbing CVS sources....

These are made on a semi-regular basis when Steve has time. Sorry that I can't give you a better schedule about when these patches are made.

Seth, Steve - i think that it would be nice if some URL & info for patches
would be put on XFS site... (if it is - sorry). Moreover it should be

Will add add a link for finding patches in the FAQ.

mentioned for which kernel version particular patch applies
(linux-2.4.6-xfs-cvs-06212001.patch.gz applies to 2.4.6 ? seems strange for

pre patches are supposed to be patched against the lower version. eg 2.4.5.
It's the same way it works with standard linux kernel patches. pre is relative to the lower version.

me since CVS is still -pre9 , or maybe i'm outta date here?) and if it

If it is updated and you are on the list you will see the TAKE messages floating around.
The moment they check it into their local repository it also get's pushed out.

contains cmd tree - AFAIK it does not..  so where do lie tarballed sources
of cmd tree ?

This patch does not include the cmd tree and qa checks. This is to reduce the size of the patch that you need to download. The tarbals can be found on the FTP server in the testing and release directory's My ISP is currently having _serious_ problems with their backbone which results in latency times that are 10 times higher then normal. (20ms vs 200+ms)

I think that putting such info and cleaning up that little mess would be
good way of getting rid (didn't mean to be rude) of such posts...

The more stuff we can filter out off the list means that Steve and his mery henchmen get more work done and the newer release out the door.

Cheers,
Krzysztof

> Hi,
>
> i want to create an Linux Firewall with your XFS Filesystem for one of our
> customers. My Problem is the 2.4.3 Kernel Version. It is an firewall bug
> (ftp) in this Kernel Version that fixed in the 2.4.4 Version. What do you
> think about an patch for 2.4.4 or better 2.4.5 ???????? And how long must i
> wait ????

Check out the CVS tree or download the rawhide RPMS those are 2.4.5 based and look a lot like standard redhat kernels. They are believed to be pretty well for everyday use. The newer 1.0.1-PR3 testing release also has newer and updated RPMS with 2.4.5 based kernels.

Cheers and Good luck

--
Seth
I use the last kind.