Re: Isn't 32 MB enough?

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Isn't 32 MB enough?
From: Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 18:35:03 -0500
Cc: Tuomas.Vitikainen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Eric Sandeen wrote:

On 20 Jul 2001 10:53:53 +0300, Tuomas.Vitikainen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hello!

I've been trying to install a Red Hat system using
ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/download/Release-1.0.1/installer/RH7.1-SGI-XF
S-1.0.1.iso to my old test PC but the install stops saying I don't have
enough memory. Does your XFS-modified version require more RAM than the
regular RH7.1 release since the regular version installs fine with 32 MB of
RAM or is this some kind of a bug?

I don't believe that we explicitly put any extra memory constraints in
our version... if you can give me the exact error message you get, I'll
look and see what triggers it.

The XFS initial ram disks are significantly larger than the default RH7.1 rd's.
32 meg ends up tripping the resource to low calculation code.

Probably not much that can be done short of disabling the check and
rolling the dice.

Note the Mandrake installer does work on a 32meg box,  in text mode, but
it does work.

-Eric