Re: XFS for Linux 1.0.1 Released

To: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS for Linux 1.0.1 Released
From: "Steve Wolfe" <nw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 14:44:16 -0600
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
> > RPM kernel upgrades have always worked fine for me, just do an
"rpm -i"
> > (as opposed to -U, so you keep your old kernel around for good
measure),
> > then set up lilo to point to the new kernel image.

  At the risk of starting a flame-war, I avoid RedHat's "standard" kernels
like the plague, as my network throughput is significantly slower.  My
compiling a kernel with exactly what I need, I get a much higher
throughput - along the order of several megabytes per second.  With
everything that they enable in their kernels, I imagine that other aspects
would also suffer.  Whether that extra bit of performance is necessary
depends, of course, on your situation.  YMMV.

steve