Re: XFS for Linux 1.0.1 Released

Subject: Re: XFS for Linux 1.0.1 Released
From: "D. Stimits" <stimits@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 14:43:29 -0600
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Eric Sandeen wrote:

> D. Stimits" wrote:
>
> > Don't trust rpm to update the kernel. Run rpm -i on the source rpm, then
> > get the tarball out of /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/, do a cp -adpR on
> > whatever subdir it is to the usual /usr/src/ location after backing up
> > (and completely moving out of the way) any old kernels. Then run make
> > menuconfig (or some config) manually before doing the rest. You have to
> > select initial ram disk support.
>
> Whoa... at that point, why use RPM?  :)
>
> If you want to rebuild the kernel, just install the kernel-source RPM,
> and build it from /usr/src/linux-2.4
>
> RPM kernel upgrades have always worked fine for me, just do an "rpm -i"
> (as opposed to -U, so you keep your old kernel around for good measure),
> then set up lilo to point to the new kernel image.
>
> Red Hat has a page on how to do this at
> http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/howto/kernel-upgrade/kernel-upgrade.html
>
> -Eric

That's basically what I said, rpm -i...but I didn't realize installing
the source rpm to the kernel actually placed it in /usr/src/? I assume
it'd have to be copied from /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/something (the
.tar.gz should be there, I made the mistake of suggesting it was also
unpacked, which it wouldn't be).

D. Stimits, stimits@xxxxxxxxxx