Re: XFS for Linux 1.0.1 Released

To: stimits@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: XFS for Linux 1.0.1 Released
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 10:08:47 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
D. Stimits" wrote:

> Don't trust rpm to update the kernel. Run rpm -i on the source rpm, then
> get the tarball out of /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/, do a cp -adpR on
> whatever subdir it is to the usual /usr/src/ location after backing up
> (and completely moving out of the way) any old kernels. Then run make
> menuconfig (or some config) manually before doing the rest. You have to
> select initial ram disk support.

Whoa... at that point, why use RPM?  :)

If you want to rebuild the kernel, just install the kernel-source RPM,
and build it from /usr/src/linux-2.4

RPM kernel upgrades have always worked fine for me, just do an "rpm -i"
(as opposed to -U, so you keep your old kernel around for good measure),
then set up lilo to point to the new kernel image.

Red Hat has a page on how to do this at
http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/howto/kernel-upgrade/kernel-upgrade.html

-Eric