Re: xfs lockup on 2.4.6-SMP kernel with 1.1TB filesystem

To: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfs lockup on 2.4.6-SMP kernel with 1.1TB filesystem
From: Jani Jaakkola <jjaakkol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 21:47:09 +0300 (EEST)
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Steve Lord wrote:

> > Right, it has now been running longer than ever before without a lockup.
> > However, the performance is very bad. But it just might be caused by the
> > simultaneous RAID resync I am doing at the same time. I'll get back to
> > this after the resync is done (or the machine has crashed).
>
> Yes, the resync will crucify performance until it is complete. I think you
> can control the rate it runs at - I would get it out of the way as soon
> as possible, I think it has nasty cache invalidation effects when running
> with XFS.

Does that mean, that XFS could have problems with SW RAID rebuild
after a disk failure? After I get things running, I'm going to test what
happens when I remove a disk from hotswap and plug it back again in live
system. I need to have that working before putting the system to use (even
if it requires to spend some $$ on some RAID hardware).

- Jani