Re: [OT] XFS and FreeBSD?

To: Tony Gale <gale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OT] XFS and FreeBSD?
From: Mike Gigante <mg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 15:17:29 +1000
Cc: Gerald Henriksen <ghenriks@xxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 13 Jul 2001, Tony Gale wrote:

> I can't see SGI maintaining a MIPS platform for very long after they are
> up and running with IA64. They don't make enough profit to support two
> such platforms :-)
>
> -tony

Well, maybe, but there are a bunch of things about Irix that are important
to our customers, and that Linux is a long way from doing as well. Some of
those things may not be aligned with the interests of the rest of the
Linux community (hence official progress may be slow???).

At minimum they'd be an overlap of a few years. With that overlap, we are
talking 4 or 5 years out so who can tell what the landscape would be like
then...

All of the above is "IMHO", and does not represent an official SGI
viewpoint etc etc.

Mike