Re: benchmarks

To: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: benchmarks
From: s-luppescu@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 10:42:23 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, "P.Dixon" <P.Dixon@xxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 13-Jul-2001 Seth Mos wrote:
> At 09:23 13-7-2001 +0100, P.Dixon wrote:
>>Hello,
>>
>>Any idea why xfs appears to be very much slower than reiserfs with these
>>benchmarks:
>>
>>http://www.namesys.com/benchmarks/mongo/2.4.5-xfs-ext2_vs_reiserfs.html
>>
>>Admittedly, the benchmarks were done by namesys...
>
> I don't know what mount options were used.
> if you have enough memory and mount the fs with logbufs=8 or 4 it goes
> faster.
> use mkfs -t xfs -l size=32768b /dev/hdn to create a larger log for
> increased speed.

This is very interesting, but as I've already made my filesystem (and don't
relish the thought of wiping it out and doing it over again) the option on mkfs
is not useful to me. But I might be able to use the logbufs option. Do I just
put it in my /etc/fstab file and then reboot? How much memory is ``enough''?
How do I tell how many log buffers I've got at present?

Thanks.
Stuart Luppescu         -=-=-  University of Chicago
$(B:MJ8$HCRF`H~$NIc(B        -=-=-  s-luppescu@xxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.consortium-chicago.org/people/sl.html
http://musuko.uchicago.edu/pubkey.asc for PGP Public Key
ICQ #21172047  AIM: psycho7070
Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality.
                -- Jules de Gaultier