Re: System locking: kernel-2.4.6pre3-xfs

To: ptb@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: System locking: kernel-2.4.6pre3-xfs
From: Simon Matter <simon.matter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 08:31:59 +0200
Cc: Nathan Scott <nathans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
"Peter T. Breuer" schrieb:

> "A month of sundays ago Nathan Scott wrote:"
> > hi Luc,
> >
> > On Jul 12,  9:20am, Luc Lalonde wrote:
> > > Subject: System locking: kernel-2.4.6pre3-xfs
> > >
> > > Hello Folks,
> > >
> > > I'm seem to be having problems on my DELL PowerEdge 2400 running the XFS
> > > kernels.   Every 10 days or so the systems locks and I have to reboot.
> > > I've been folllowing the XFS kernel development and have been trying
> > > updating since 2.4.2-XFS.
> >
> > Could you build a kernel with kdb enabled and dump the call
> > stack ("bt" command) when the system hangs?  That would give
> > us a better idea as to whether or not your hang is related to
> > XFS, and a better starting point for debugging.
>
> I have been having exactly the same symptom on my dell poweredge
> under 2.4.3 + xfs. I am not cinvinced it is xfs.
>
> I changed to 2.4.6 + xfs and the lockups increased in frequency.
> It's been up for a day now, but yesterday it locked several times in
> succession. On one occasion I saw the crash, and it was the NMI
> watchdog kicking in! It said that CPU 1 was locked. The trace was

Maybe you have to change some settings in the BIOS Setup. Some
'operating systems' need a watchdog to free them from showing
a blue screen after some minutes or hours of operation :), but
Linux does not need it usually and it's good to disable all
those features in the setup (if they exist).

--
Simon Matter              Tel:  +41 61 695 57 35
Fr.Sauter AG / CIT        Fax:  +41 61 695 53 30