Re: System locking: kernel-2.4.6pre3-xfs

To: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: System locking: kernel-2.4.6pre3-xfs
From: Timothy Shimmin <tes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 12:29:20 +1000
Cc: Luc Lalonde <llalonde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Luc,

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 04:35:18PM +0200, Seth Mos wrote:
> >I looked this morning and I see this message (dmesg):
> >
> >st0: Block limits 1 - 16777215 bytes
>
> This equates to 15GB... rotten tape or drive going mad. It should read 20GB
> if I am correct.
> If I use 1GB = 1000MB it comes at 16GB which is still 4GB short.
Hmmm...sorry I don't understand this comment.

The message is coming from the scsi tape driver (linux/drivers/scsi/st.c)
and I believe it is printed the first time the tape device is opened.
It specifies the limits on the block size - thus the size of a read
or write have to be within these limits.
In xfsdump/xfsrestore we use a read/write size of 1Mb.
We have tested with an Archive Python DAT drive and we always
seem to get that exact message i.e. 16Mb for max. block size
(it is the result of a READ_BLOCK_LIMITS scsi cmd).

So that msg looks normal to me :)

(According to linux/drivers/scsi/README.st, you could define
 DEBUG in st.c and have it generate debugging messages.
 Don't know if this would help show anything useful though.)

--Tim