Re: System locking: kernel-2.4.6pre3-xfs

To: Luc Lalonde <llalonde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: System locking: kernel-2.4.6pre3-xfs
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 16:35:18 +0200
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
At 10:14 12-7-2001 -0400, Luc Lalonde wrote:
Hello Seth and Simon,

I figured I'd answer both of you at the same time.

First off, I do get some strange errors of this type:

fh_verify: mail/:saved permission failure, acc=1, error=13
svc: unknown program 100227 (me 100003)

However, when I searched on Google this was an NFS message that was harmless
and could be ignored (is this right?).

Can't comment on this.

I looked this morning and I see this message (dmesg):

st0: Block limits 1 - 16777215 bytes

This equates to 15GB... rotten tape or drive going mad. It should read 20GB if I am correct.
If I use 1GB = 1000MB it comes at 16GB which is still 4GB short.

The crash always happens when the Amanda system is writting to tape.   Could
this be a hardware problem clue?

possibly yes.

I haven't tried the 1.01 RPMS yet.  I'm on a SuSE7.1 system here so I compile
my own kernels.

Patches are available for building your own kernel the patches can be found at http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/1.0_rpm.html

I'm not using any kind of RAID on this system.   It's got four SCSI disks
connected to the onboard(Adaptec) SCSI controler and a tape (HP-DAT40)
connected to an Adaptec-30160 controller.

That tape drive should work, you have 20GB uncompressed and 40GB compressed. We got tape full errors at about 30GB of data.

Good luck
--
Seth
I use the last kind.