Re: [OT] XFS and FreeBSD?

To: Federico Sevilla III <jijo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OT] XFS and FreeBSD?
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 09:14:57 -0500
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Hi everyone,
>
> I hope this does not cause any major trouble. I am wondering if there is
> any effort to get XFS working on FreeBSD complete with EAs and ACLs. I do
> not know what the state of the filesystem support of FreeBSD is, but the
> last I've read looks like it's still UFS with soft updates. I also
> personally wonder why SGI decided to port XFS to Linux and not to the
> BSDs. I have never used any BSD (I use Linux actually) but this just makes
> me curious. I've heard the BSDs are also very good, but maybe someone can
> enlighten me off-list about this.
>
> Thanks in advance everyone!

XFS was ported to Linux because SGI has Linux platforms, we do not have BSD
based platforms. Given the amount of effort to get the XFS code GPLed, we
have no plans for any other licensing (unless someone pays us ;-). Now if
someone wants to port XFS to BSD under the current license they are free
to do so from SGI's point of view, it is only BSD licensing issues which
prevent this from happening.

You have to remember (and so do we occasionally) that SGI is a commercial
company, it is supposed to make money (emphasis on the supposed to), so
there really has to be some commercial reason for us doing things.

Steve