Re: XFS for Linux 1.0.1 Released

To: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS for Linux 1.0.1 Released
From: jtrostel@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 10:36:33 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, ries@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 11-Jul-2001 Seth Mos wrote:
> At 13:18 11-7-2001 +0200, Ries van Twisk wrote:

Snip...

>> problems
>> >
>> > 2.2.1 I presume? I did download it but I will have to see of it compiles
>> > under NCR Unix first.
>>Yes a 2.2.1 version. But it does not compile with acl support :-(
>>
>>Samba expect the files in sys/ and not in acl/ and the header file are
>>different.
>
> Yes these files have moved. You may be able to specify the location with a
> --with-acl=/usr/include/acl or something like that. If not, you will have
> to walk through the code to see where the configure script is looking and
> change that. I guess the samba folks were probably caught off guard.
>
> Cheers

Samba 2.2.1 expects libacl.a to be in /usr/lib and expects acl.h to be in
/usr/include/sys.  These are the same places that the bestbits ACL stuff goes
and the detection and use of the ACL code is now identical between the two
implementations.  The 'best' way to run Samba and XFS is to get the latest
versions of both (Samba 2.2.1 and XFS 1.0.1) and use them.  They should have
the components in the correct places and the XFS ACL library will have a more
complete set of posix compliant functions built into it.

If you are running a version of XFS with acl.h in /usr/include/acl, it is
possible that your libacl.a also does not have all the necessary functionality.
The missing functionality from the current libacl.a was written into Samba at
an early stage before it was integrated into the libacl.a library.

It is NOT possible to specify where to look for the acl.h header or the
libacl.a library through configure parameters (unless you want to hack the
configure scripts of course).  It also would probably lead to other problems
down the road.

--
John M. Trostel
Linux OS Engineer