Re: Patch

Subject: Re: Patch
From: "D. Stimits" <stimits@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 13:23:03 -0600
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Nathan Straz wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 12:54:34PM -0600, D. Stimits wrote:
> > A temporary workaround (which could actually work for quite a while)
> > would be if a web page gave the time/date to use for date-based
> > checkout. Even without explicit tags at each stage, if you know the
> > date/time, you can check out "the most current as of date/time being
> > xxx".
>
> You should be able to do this already.  Each "TAKE" message already
> included the date and time of the TAKE (a.k.a. commit).  Just pick a
> time after that and before the next sync with Linus and you should have
> the kernel version you're looking for.
>
> So to get 2.4.6, you can use the date "Wed Jul 4 22:00:00 PDT 2001."
> You're going to have to look up how to mangle this date into the format
> CVS wants, but theoretically anyone should be able to do that.
>
> --
> Nate Straz                                              nstraz@xxxxxxx
> sgi, inc                                           http://www.sgi.com/
> Linux Test Project                                  http://ltp.sf.net/

Maybe this is already provided, but could the "TAKE" messages be made
available via web page? Saving all the email is a bit of a problem; I,
for one, recently lost all of my email due to a Netscape problem
(pointed at an ext2 partition). And in the past I have lost email for
other reasons, including POP3 death.

D. Stimits, stimits@xxxxxxxxxx