Re: New Redhat 7.1 kernel patch

To: Juha Saarinen <juha@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: New Redhat 7.1 kernel patch
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 16:07:46 -0500
Cc: "linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Juha Saarinen wrote:

> Aiiee... OK, lemme rephrase the question, your honour: if I would like to
> set up an XFS server, which part should I go with?

Hard to say what is best for you - the "pure" linux tree (in this case
2.4.5) is probably most tested internally at SGI, since that's what we
use every day.  If you need the added features (and bugfixes) in the Red
Hat kernels, you can grab our xfs-enabled versions of those.  FWIW,
oss.sgi.com is running the Red Hat-based XFS kernels.

> As it is, won't most people use the "RH XFS" version, ie. install from the
> ISOs?

Only people who want to use Red Hat.  :)  Everyone else will probably
want to use the patches, at least until the fine folks who have done
slack/debian/mandrake/suse packaging catch up with the 1.0.1 release.

-Eric