Re: Can XFS be used on a production machine

To: Reggy Ekkebus <reggy@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Can XFS be used on a production machine
From: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 11:08:48 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx

> Hello,
>

> This time a read the FAQ, but It's not completely clear to me, because
> the answer in the FAQ says it's stable, but it also says it's unstable.
>
> So my question is, is it stable for a server in a company with about 10
> people working. The server will be a file server and will not be very
> busy. I don't want to reinstall the server every year.

We use it here, but generally we have upgraded beyond the 1.0 release and
run later kernels. The machine hosting the oss website was recently upgraded
to the 1.0 release, but was getting an uptime of about 24 hours before it
hung. We have bumped it up to a more recent version of XFS, the one in the
test 1.0.1 rpms here

 ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/download/testing/Release-1.0.1-PR1/

and so far it is staying up, 359 Gbytes of data read in 3 days 14 hours.
You might want to wait until we have done more testing on the 1.0.1
rpms and use those.

Steve