Re: Can XFS be used on a production machine

To: Reggy Ekkebus <reggy@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Can XFS be used on a production machine
From: Skottie Miller <skottie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 09:00:48 -0700
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
As with all things, it depends.  It depends on your tolerence
to risk, the value you place on your data, the value you place
on fast reboots, the size of your filesystems, your backup policies,
your ability to handle possible downtimes if there is a failure,
your performance requirements.

That said, we're evaluating and testing Linux XFS for use in
"limited production".  the first Linux XFS file servers will be
for transient, re-creatable data, for departments that can
tolerate short outages.  Once we think that's stable, more
file services will migrate to Linux XFS (from IRIX XFS).

It took me years to really get comfortable with IRIX XFS, given
that it too had lots of problems early on.  I now trust XFS on IRIX,
and time (and testing) will hopefully give that same trust for
XFS on Linux.

        -Skottie

--
----
Scott Miller                 | Animation Technology