Re: XFS module problems -- usage count incorrect

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: XFS module problems -- usage count incorrect
From: Dean Roehrich <roehrich@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 10:19:19 -0500
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
>From:  Keith Owens <kaos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>init_xfs_fs() calls dmapi_init() which does MOD_INC_USE_COUNT.  Compile
>XFS without DMAPI support and your problem will disappear.
>
>The module related code in dmapi is a hangover from a time when dmapi
>was a module in its own right instead of being linked into xfs.o.  I
>will remove module related code from dmapi, I will also review grio, to
>make sure it does not have the same problem.

No, it's not a hangover.  It was put there last week to keep the reference
count up.  If you've been using DMAPI then you cannot allow the module to be
unloaded unless DMAPI says it's okay.  DMAPI won't say it's okay unless it's
clear that no HSMs are using it (whether or not any XFS filesystems are
mounted, an HSM could still be there, watching the DMAPI queues, waiting for
one to be mounted.)

DMAPI needs a way to say that the XFS module is busy--I thought
MOD_INC_USE_COUNT was the proper method.  If dm_uninit() is giving false
positives then that's another issue entirely.

Dean