Re: XFS and RAID5

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: XFS and RAID5
From: ctooley@xxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 08:33:51 -0500
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx

Put my first XFS partition into production use this weekend on top of Software
RAID 0 sets.  The thing that I've found that affects write performance most is
the drive itself.  We have dedicated a controller to each disk (a two controller
Promise card for each of the two disk sets) and performance seems pretty good.
As dangerous as it sounds (to the hardware and the data alike) I've even pulled
the power on the IDE drive while it was running (DON"T DO THIS!!) and had no
adverous affects.  Your mileage may vary, but we're very happy.  I have noticed
that XFS has pretty much the same speeds as ext2+ea+acl when running on
identical hardware, but of course you have journalling so XFS gets the call.  If
only I'd have known that before there was a ton of data on the disks.

Chris Tooley

Andrew Klaassen <ak@xxxxxxx> on 06/18/2001 08:13:34 AM