Re: XFS and RAID5

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: XFS and RAID5
From: Andrew Klaassen <ak@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 09:13:34 -0400
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 03:55:36PM +1000,
Robin Humble wrote:

> Around the time of the 2.4.3 kernel we used XFS over software
> RAID5 for a month or so before a disk died and we didn't
> bother replacing it - we've been using 420G (7 disks) of RAID0
> since with zero problems. RAID5 seemed ok and we sorted out
> any initial performance problems as we found them with the
> super-responsive XFS people on this list.

7 disks?  I'm curious: SCSI or IDE?  (We're looking into a
Promise or 3ware card to allow us to put lots of IDE drives in a
box and run software RAID over top, and were wondering if anyone
else has had experience with these cards+software RAID+XFS.)

Andrew Klaassen