Re: NFS/pwd probs w/today's CVS dist

To: cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx (Russell Cattelan)
Subject: Re: NFS/pwd probs w/today's CVS dist
From: Tad Dolphay <tbd@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 13:51:03 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: tbd@xxxxxxx (Tad Dolphay), ds-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Dave Sill), linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx

> Tad Dolphay wrote:
>

> > > I installed the development version from cvs (checked out at 12:30
> > > EDT) and exported an XFS filesystem to an SGI for testing. Attempting
> > > to build perl, I discovered that /bin/pwd was returning the wrong
> > > thing, although the bash built-in pwd worked right:
> > >
> > >   $ pwd
> > >   /malachite/test/perl-5.6.1
> > >   $ /bin/pwd
> > >   /perl-5.6.1
> > >   $ uname -aR
> > >   IRIX64 daacl 6.5 6.5.11m 01101245 IP27
> > >
> > > What gives?
> > >
> > This is actually a known IRIX problem with handling variable size file
> > handles
> > that will be fixed in 6.5.13.
>
> Refresh my memory  I know this was causing directories to be lost but
> I thought the pwd problem is something else ... like the problem we saw in
> Slowaris?

The pwd problem is seen with a Linux server and an Irix client and is a problem
with Irix because it doesn't handle version 3 variable size file handles
correctly.

The "missing files/directories problem" is seen with a Linux client and an Irix
server. This is a glibc problem on Linux. More info at:
  http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-alpha/2001-02/msg00118.html

Tad