Re: Interest from the FreeBSD camp

To: "Nathan J. Mehl" <memory@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Interest from the FreeBSD camp
From: "Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 21:35:54 -0400
Cc: james rich <james.rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>, Juha Saarinen <juha@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
"Nathan J. Mehl" wrote:
> Why on earth do you make this assertion?  Solaris supports loadable
> independent kernel modules just as linux does -- implementing xfs on
> solaris in a way that didn't "contaminate" the kernel with the GPL
> would be a pretty straightforward exercise.  (Well, at least, it would
> probably not add significantly to the effort involved in a Solaris
> port to begin with, which might be high.)

Actually, I think everyone here is failing to realize this canNOT be
done via the GPL, unless you add the provision.  Dynamically
linking/loading is normally allowed via the Lesser GPL (LGPL).  But
as the holder of the copyrights, it is upto SGI to determine what is
allowable and what is not.

> I think we're all in agreement that a BSD-style license doesn't get
> SGI anything but goodwill from the xBSD camp.  I just think the
> paranoia about Sun is probably unjustified: as I've pointed out
> elsewhere, they gain little and potentially lose a lot by adopting
> XFS into Solaris's base distribution.

Sun Solaris was just an example.  The number of "threats" to SGI's
IP would be a lot greater than you think if they released XFS as BSD
licensed.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx   chat:thebs413