Re: mkinitrd, ramdisk failure?

Subject: Re: mkinitrd, ramdisk failure?
From: "D. Stimits" <stimits@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 15:57:11 -0600
Cc: "XFS: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sidik Isani wrote:

> D. Stimits typed:
> |[...]
> |So can *anyone* verify that it really is possible to run XFS as modules?
> |If so, can I get a list of modules you have under lsmod? Or if you
> |remember, a sample of the mkinitrd.xfs line used?
>
>   I've never looked at mkinitrd, but XFS as modules is working for me.
>   I generated the initrd manually, but there's nothing fancy in it.  As
>   someone else just posted, the modules must be loaded in this order:
>   pagebuf.o xfs_support.o xfs.o
>
>   (And, obviously the filesystem on the initrd _itself_ must be
>   something compiled into the kernel.  Can't be XFS if it's modular.)
>
> - Sidik
>
> P.S.: I'm running 2.4.6-pre2-xfs CVS from two or three days ago.

I just tested a very carefully made initial ramdisk, and it fails:
mkinitrd.xfs \
   --with=pagebuf \
   --with=xfs_support \
   --with=xfs \
   /boot/initrd-2.4.6-pre1-xfs-3.img \
   2.4.6-pre1-xfs-3

My lilo.conf has for this image:
   append="ramdisk_size=25000 noapic"

This fails, though it succeeds all the way up until root filesystem
mount is attempted. I'm a bit frustrated by the lack of good debug
information when a root filesystem mount fails :( For example, I wish it
would say which modules were loaded at the time of failure.

D. Stimits, stimits@xxxxxxxxxx