xfs and lilo on a second disk

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: xfs and lilo on a second disk
From: Rob Lembree <lembree@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:15:45 -0400
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi there,

        I put xfs onto my RH7.1 system by first upgrading the
RPMs, adding a disk, making xfs partitions, and the cp -a
each of the partitions to the new xfs partitions.

        I modified lilo.conf to do the right thing, and ran
lilo chrooted and pointing to the right disk, then ran lilo.
I swapped drives (pri and sec), and get "LI" instead of
LILO.

        I then switched pir and sec drives so that the original
pri is pri again, and added an 'xfs' stanza to the lilo.conf.
This boots the sec drive nicely.

        I tried to run LILO from this again, but with the same LI
result.

        So how should I get LILO booting off this new drive so
that I can put the old drive to use someplace else?

        I've been using Linux since '92, so I've tried all the
obvious stuff.

        Below is my lilo.conf.  Note that right now, /dev/hdb is
the xfs disk that I want to make /dev/hda, hence the /dev/hda and
/dev/hdb inconsistency.  WHen I run lilo, it should (and does)
modify /dev/hdb, when I boot, it is configed as /dev/hda.

thanks,
rob

boot=/dev/hdb
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
message=/boot/message
linear
default=linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-SGI_XFS_1.0
        label=linux
        read-only
        append="root=/dev/hda6"
#       root=/dev/hda6

--

Rob Lembree                        Metro Link Incorporated
29 Milk St.                          lembree@xxxxxxxxxxxxx