Re: Interest from the FreeBSD camp

To: "Nathan J. Mehl" <memory@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Interest from the FreeBSD camp
From: james rich <james.rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:19:53 -0600 (MDT)
Cc: Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>, Juha Saarinen <juha@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Nathan J. Mehl wrote:

> expect that if Sun thought they could gain some sort of competetive
> advantage from shipping Solaris 9 with XFS, they'd simply go ahead and
> do so with the existing GPL code.

Since XFS integrates with the OS they would have to GPL Solaris (I think)
- not likely.  With a BSD compatible license (such as would be required to
make it into the *BSDs) Sun (or anyone else) could take the XFS code,
modify it to work for them (and potentially not work for you - see
MicroSoft and kerberos) and then sell the result *without helping SGI in
any way*.  So SGI loses contributors to it's code and gains a competitor
using its own filesystem!

James Rich
james.rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx