Re: Interest from the FreeBSD camp

To: "Jeffrey B. Layton" <jeffrey.b.layton@xxxxxxxx>, "Nathan J. Mehl" <memory@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Interest from the FreeBSD camp
From: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 12:50:11 +0200
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
At 05:18 13-6-2001 -0400, Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Solaris use a Veritas
filesystem as the default filesystem (I know HP does).
If that is the case, then getting rid of royalities to Veritas
but still charging the same per license would increase
their profits. Sure sounds like motivation to me :)

Jeff

True, they will sell you an a Veritas Journaling FS if you pay deerly for it.
You must pay seperately for their volume manager and it is also tied to the size of your storage. BUt i'm not sure about that.

The Filesystem is called VxFS, there is now also a freevxfs.o for the linux kernel but this is read only and does not support all on-disk formats of the fs. It seems like the on-disk format is different between variants of their FS.

--
Seth
I use the last kind.