Re: Interest from the FreeBSD camp

To: Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Interest from the FreeBSD camp
From: "Nathan J. Mehl" <memory@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 02:41:49 -0400
Cc: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxx>, Juha Saarinen <juha@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
[a late response, my apologies]

In the immortal words of Russell Cattelan (cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx):

> It wasn't an issue of  gain or not gain for SGI but a sense of what could
> be lost:
> XFS on solaris seems to be the biggest fear.

Is it?

Sun is already shipping a number of GPLed utlities with Solaris 8.
(Most notably and blessedly, /bin/bash.)  There's even source code
included, buried deeply back on installation CD #8934...  I rather
expect that if Sun thought they could gain some sort of competetive
advantage from shipping Solaris 9 with XFS, they'd simply go ahead and
do so with the existing GPL code.

However, I can't see it happening.  Sun has a strong financial
disincentive against such a move: they currently make money off of
selling "server" editions of Solaris (which bundle Solstice Disksuite)
and rebadged copies of VXFS/VXVM for Solaris.  Why ship for free what
they currently make in the neighborhood of $5k/seat for? :)

-n

no plans / I'll go where the machine goes / the past is a placebo / dissolving
in a drain / I'll sleep beside the railroad tracks / with no more rent
or income tax / I got no fixed address now / I'm waiting for a train.
                                             (--Firewater, "So Long Superman")