Re: mkinitrd, ramdisk failure?

To: "XFS: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: mkinitrd, ramdisk failure?
From: "D. Stimits" <stimits@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 21:54:07 -0600
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Matt Ryan wrote:

> sorry, I meant to write that to the list as well.  I just wrote:
>
> gzip -dc your.img > somefile
> mount -o loop somefile somedir
>
> also, just running mkinitrd with the verbose (-v) option is pretty
> helpful too
> (not sure if you were doing that already).

I've done -v, and also mounted each of the initrd images since then. I
definitely have the three modules I know of which are required:
pagebuf.o
xfs.o
xfs_support.o

Perhaps there is some kind of argument or order required that I don't
have? Or, since I compiled the kernel on RH 7.1 and used kgcc, would
there be some sort of change required to the compile of mkinitrd.xfs to
make it use kgcc as well? I noticed this URL does not have mkinitrd.xfs
man page:
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/manpages.html

...and the cvs cmd/xfsmisc/ does not seem to produce one either. My
assumption is that this and the original mkinitrd are identical
(incidentally, I turned in a report to RH bugzilla that their man page
does not match the command line option syntax of mkinitrd --help...the
latter is accurate, the former not for --preload=<module>).

So can *anyone* verify that it really is possible to run XFS as modules?
If so, can I get a list of modules you have under lsmod? Or if you
remember, a sample of the mkinitrd.xfs line used?

D. Stimits, stimits@xxxxxxxxxx