Re: mkinitrd, ramdisk failure?

To: "D. Stimits" <stimits@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: mkinitrd, ramdisk failure?
From: Juha Saarinen <juha@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 12:31:36 +1200 (NZST)
Cc: "XFS: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, D. Stimits wrote:

> going to attempt a 2 floppy boot setup. However, either mkinitrd.xfs is
> failing, or something with lilo config is failing. The system is scsi,
> but scsi is being compiled in and not as a module.

Try compiling SCSI as modules instead -- that's what I've got here, and it
works (Tekram controller plus two drives).

Mkinitrd looks for the SCSI modules to put into the initial RAM disk
image, so you'll need them.

> It will instead say:

Sounds like the SCSI stuff isn't being loaded.

> The version that works I have as "2.4.6-pre1-xfs-2", the failed but
> nearly identical version is labelled as "2.4.6-pre1-xfs-3". Here is the
> lilo.conf (note that the i840 chipset must run with apic disabled to be
> reliable...Intel seems to have broken the chipset):

Hmmm... the i850 works for me.

> Now it appends two items at once, both "noapic" and
> "ramdisk_size=25000". Is the space separation the correct delimiter
> between multiple append items (man page does not say)? Or maybe what is
> happening is that it thinks the whole "25000 noapic" is what to set
> "ramdisk_size" to (in which case it probably ignores the parameter
> entirely)?

No, that's the correct one -- I used it here.

> There is also a kernel config item to allow initial ramdisk size to
> default to something else, but is set to 4096 by default; thus the lilo
> parameter should get around this for the larger ramdisk requirement.
> Maybe I *must* also set this option during kernel compile also, and not
> just for lilo?

This I'm not so sure about. If you read the README file for the kernel
sources, it says:

   If you ever need to change the default root device, video mode,
   ramdisk size, etc.  in the kernel image, use the 'rdev' program (or
   alternatively the LILO boot options when appropriate).  No need to
   recompile the kernel to change these parameters.

Also, the Documentation/ramdisk.txt appears to say that you can change the
size, without recompiling.

--
Regards,

Juha

PGP fingerprint:
B7E1 CC52 5FCA 9756 B502  10C8 4CD8 B066 12F3 9544