Re: boot problems

To: Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: boot problems
From: Keith Owens <kaos@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:43:18 +1000
Cc: Daniel Spratlen <spratlen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Seth Mos wrote
> At 19:54 11-6-2001 -0400, Daniel Spratlen wrote:
> >boot=/dev/sda
>
> You say that you have altered the bios to make it boot from disk 6?
> You are NOT writing a boot sector to disk 6 with this config.
> If I think I am right sda == id0 and sdg == id6
> Edit your lilo.conf to make3 boot=/dev/sda6
> It should then write the MBR to the seventh disk in the array.

Not quite.  sda6 is partition 6 on sda, i.e. the first scsi disk.
Also id6 is not necessarily sdg, the old style disk numbering
only labels disks that actually exist, with id 0, 5 and 6 you get sda,
sdb and sdc.  Add another disk as id 4 and sd[bc] change to sd[cd].
This is one of the problems that devfs was designed to fix, which is
why I recommend using /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target6/lun0/disc which
always points to id 6, even when other disks are added or removed.

Even with the correct disc name for MBR, you have to tell LILO which
is the boot disc, otherwise it assumes the first disc is boot.