RE: Stability of the Red Hat 7.1 + XFS system

To: "'Micah Yoder'" <yodermk@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Stability of the Red Hat 7.1 + XFS system
From: "Juha Saarinen" <juha@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:38:06 +1200
Cc: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
:: Well, they got the server back up.  Said /etc/rc.d/rc.local
:: was "complete
:: gobledegook".
::
:: I'm back in and everything else seems to be in OK shape.

In my case, parts of /var were corrupted (after I compiled with gcc 2.96
that is).

:: Is there a fairly straightforward way to upgrade the kernel
:: and XFS?  I'm a
:: little wary of using 2.4.5 because of the swapping issues.
:: But it might be
:: worth a shot.

FWIW, I'm running it here on an Ext2fs box -- no issues at all, and
swapping seems OK. However, I understand that 2.4.6 will have the VM
reworked, so it might be worth waiting for that.

I don't think there are RPMs for 2.4.5, only CVS. It's not a major
hassle to upgrade with that, but it's not as trivial as with RPM. Also,
running CVS code on a production server is a bit of a no-no.

:: well I certainly can't replace the motherboard.  Unless
:: things *really* get
:: bad and that's the only possible solution.

No, I understand that. Same situation here.

:: If this happens again I'll probably just have them install
:: Debian + ext2.

Well, it's a combo that's been known to work, and very well too ;-). XFS
feels like it's close to production, but perhaps not quite yet.

A UPS (check the NUT page at www.exploits.org/nut before deciding on
which one) would probably make sense, unless the co-lo offers that
already.

-- Juha