Re: Interest from the FreeBSD camp

To: Juha Saarinen <juha@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Interest from the FreeBSD camp
From: Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 10:37:05 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Juha Saarinen wrote:

> I've noticed that there's some interest from the FreeBSD crowd in XFS.
> But, they don't like the GPL... would SGI consider using a BSD-style
> license instead?

I explored this as one point and got nowhere with it.
There are two  problems
One  finding a license that the BSD folks can live
with and at the same time prevent SGI's competitors from shipping
XFS with their systems (ie SUN).
Two finding anybody in SGI management that actually wants
XFS on BSD to happen and thus willing to commit resources to
writing a "dual" licensee.

I have also talked with the BSD folks a bit and from a non commercial
stand point
there is no reason why XFS cannot live on the free BSDs as an
independent  GPL'ed
entity, ie loadable kernel module.

--
Russell Cattelan