Re: XFS/Linux 1.1??

To: Dan Swartzendruber <dswartz@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS/Linux 1.1??
From: "Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 01:46:06 -0400
Cc: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>, Sean Elble <s_elble@xxxxxxxxx>, Seth Mos <knuffie@xxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
[ Probably starting to get off topic here. ]

Dan Swartzendruber wrote:
> well, what can i say.  i really like quicken/2000.

We need more people to lobby Intuit.  GNUCash is nice, but an OSS
project just cannot build the industry relationships so users can do
on-line banking.  TheKompany's trying to do this, and it will be
interesting to see what happens.

> and wine is just lame

???  It's a great porting toolkit first and formost.  And from the
standpoint of reverse engineering for "run-time," it's amazing what
they have done.  I've always sided with Linus that the "goal" is to
get commercial developers to produce native apps for Linux.  But
what the WINE project has done is nothing less than unbelievable.

> - it's been 75% (or whatever) done for years now, it seems

Yes, and it will _always_ be like that.  You cannot "hit" a moving
target.  Samba is in the same boat.

But it's 100% Windows free, unlike Win4Lin or VMWare.  Heck, some
older apps that will not run under 98, ME or 2000 run fine under
WINE!  This is a testament to its capabilities.

> if i can get a nice threaded mail client with IMAP support,
> i'd move my mail from win98 to KDE in a flash.

Well, there is GTK+-based Sylpheed (although it should run fine in
KDE as well):
   http://sylpheed.good-day.net/

BTW, I recently posted a list of apps that I use regularly:
   http://www.zepa.net/hypermail/elug/2001/05/0105.html

I chucked MS Office in 1998 after upgrading to Word 97 from Word
95.  I lost half my templates and, after spending 15 hours
recreating the most complicated one, I simply said "fuck it."  Now I
will only write in LaTeX or SGML.  LyX (http://www.lyx.org) does
both quite nicely -- and I even use it to create presentations in
small-size PDF formats (e.g., 25 slides in 50KB!).  I consider MS
Office to be a bastardization.  The testament to that is the fact
that _no_publisher_ I know of uses MS Word as its publication system
(and even when they take author submissions in MS Word format, they
save it as text and force the user to use "mark up" for their script
that converts it to SGML anyway ;-).

> i'm new here - what is the metadata journaling argument re ext3?

Ext3 started out as a full-data journaling-only "add-on" to Ext2.
Worked great and, after 3 months of testing in early 2000, I adopted
it on all my systems (version 0.0.2f).  Then Tweedie started to get
fancy and went after meta-data journaling (aka "v2 mode").  All I've
had with meta-data is nothing but problems -- and data loss!  Worse
yet, I cannot seem to figure out how to "downgrade" my journals to
"v1 mode" (full-data) other than converting back to Ext2, booting a
pre-0.0.3 Ext3 kernel, recreating them, and then re-booting the new
kernel.

The entire issue is a pure performance one.  Full-data journaling is
basically a "double buffer" and cuts performance in half.  Meta-data
just journals the structural and attribute changes to the
filesystem, but not the data.  The "ordered writes" mode has cost me
a filesystem once, although newer versions are supposed to fix it.
I really don't care because full-data is fine for me.  I sure wish
he would just focus on that, but Tweedie has done a fine job
regardless and I don't want to knock his longstanding dedication to
the kernel in general.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx   chat:thebs413