Re: cmd compiles

Subject: Re: cmd compiles
From: "D. Stimits" <stimits@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 12:13:38 -0600
Cc: "linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Steve Lord wrote:

> > I'm trying to compile some of the cvs cmd items, and can't seem to find
> > all the headers. I'm using RH 7.1, and wondering if the xfsprogs-devel
> > is not part of cvs? Or perhaps I'm just installing out of order (I have
> > the 2.4.6-pre1-xfs kernel up and running, the current xfs kernel is what
> > /usr/src/linux/ has in it). Suggestions on where to get devel headers or
> > what to move where when using the cvs tree?
> >
> > FATAL ERROR: could not find a valid XFS library header.
> > Install either the xfsprogs-devel (rpm) or the xfslibs-dev (deb)
> > package.
> > make: *** [configure] Error 1
> >
> > D. Stimits, stimits@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> To get through a build of all the commands you need to install some of the
> earlier phases. You can do this either by building and installing the rpms,
> or by a make install.

For reference, I'm using the devel branch of cvs currently marked as
2.4.6-pre1-xfs.

> I think this sequence works (from memory):
>
>         0. install e2fsprogs-devel for uuid code

I've done this via rpm. The rpm version listed:
e2fsprogs-1.19-4
e2fsprogs-devel-1.19-4

>         1. build acl and attr packages, install development rpms

I've compiled and installed the cvs version of acl and attr; however,
I'm not aware of any development rpms...are these in addition to the cvs
cmd/acl/ and cmd/attr/ make installs? If so, where do I find the
development version, whether in rpm or tarball format?

>         2. build xfsprogs, install development rpms

I have done a make install for xfsprogs in the cmd/xfsprogs/ of cvs
devel. Now comes a similar question from the prior paragraph...are there
development rpms or tarballs that are separate from the build and
install of xfsprogs? If so, where can I find them in either rpm or
tarball format?

>         3. build xfsdump

This is the part that fails for me, and why I think the devel stuff must
be separate from the cvs devel tree. Or at least requires more than a
make install from the relevant cmd subdirectory.