Re: growing a partition

To: Florin Andrei <florin@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: growing a partition
From: ctooley@xxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 13:15:39 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx

I grew the / partition on my harddrive.  The key is that the beginning of the
partition cannot move but the end can (I would love to be proven wrong).  If you
are using the x86 platform like I am and you want to make the partition you
using larger, you need to create some empty disk space after your XFS partition.
Then you can (I'm not going to write a HOWTO because this part is dangerous)
just make your partition larger by using FDISK.  Delete the partition with fdisk
and create it, making sure to use the same starting point you had used before.
Since this only changes the partition table you should be fine.  Be forwarned
though that editing the partition table can lead to lots of migraines.  I had no
trouble with mine.  After you have rebooted (if you change the partition that /
lives on it's going to not be reported right until you reboot) you can just type
"xfs_growfs /" at the prompt and it will magically make space for you.  It made
my partition 4 gig larger in the span of a few seconds.

Hope this helps

Chris Tooley

Florin Andrei <florin@xxxxxxx> on 06/07/2001 01:02:13 PM

  To:          linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx

  cc:          (bcc: Chris Tooley/AMOA)

  Subject      growing a partition
  :

Is there any HOWTO on growing an XFS partition under Linux?
Is is possible to do this for the / partition?

--
Florin Andrei