Re: mkinitrd, ramdisk failure?

To: stimits@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: mkinitrd, ramdisk failure?
From: Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 23:45:05 -0500
Cc: "XFS: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
"D. Stimits" wrote:

> Matt Ryan wrote:
> >
> > sorry, I meant to write that to the list as well.  I just wrote:
> >
> > gzip -dc your.img > somefile
> > mount -o loop somefile somedir
> >
> > also, just running mkinitrd with the verbose (-v) option is pretty
> > helpful too
> > (not sure if you were doing that already).
>
> I've done -v, and also mounted each of the initrd images since then. I
> definitely have the three modules I know of which are required:
> pagebuf.o
> xfs.o
> xfs_support.o

note the modules must load in this order
pagebuf
xfs_support
xfs

When specifying them on the command  the order they are
given is the order they are loaded.

The mkinird.xfs in the source tree just added the modules to the
basicmodules  list rather than having to list them by hand on the command
line.

Note the 0.9 release of XFS installed  xfs as modules using mkinitrd.xfs to
build
the initrd,  the 0.10 and 1.0 release did not do this since  boots seem to
take slightly
less time with xfs in the kernel.

--
Russell Cattelan