Re: linux 2.4.2-XFS

To: Galen Arnold <arnoldg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: linux 2.4.2-XFS
From: Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 16:31:14 -0400
Cc: Steve Lord <lord@xxxxxxx>, sandeen@xxxxxxx, Mike Pflugmacher <mikep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Wayne Hoyenga <louis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Galen Arnold wrote:

> Steve,
>
> The disk under the hood is IBM raid array (sharks?).  We're seeing them
> through a qlogic driver to the SAN.
>
> If you've got any tuning params. or patches for me to try, let me know.
> We like the performance of xfs (what we were able to measure), but need to
> pick a filesystem soon.  This will be the filesystem behind our 512 host
> linux cluster at NCSA.
>
> I downloaded the development tree from your cvs server, but was not able
> to "make bzImage" on linux 2.4.4:
>
> gcc -I/usr/include -ldb1 aicasm_gram.c aicasm_scan.c aicasm.c
> aicasm_symbol.c -o aicasm aicasm_symbol.c:39: db1/db.h: No such file or
> directory
> make[5]: *** [aicasm] Error 1
>
> So we're still on linux 2.4.2.  I down-graded the system for testing xfs
> because your web site made it look like 2.4.2 was the development
> platform.  If you've got a working 2.4.4 version I'd like to try it out
> (that's what the rest of the cluster is running).

The pending release of XFS 1.0.1 will be RH7.1 and 2.4.4 based, and will
be based primarily on what is in the development tree... once the list
or problems has been whittled down.

Note I'm running iozone locally on a 2gig system over a 2 disk md stripe,
so far no problems.... so we need to find the variable that is different.

--
Russell Cattelan