Re: lilo -R

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: lilo -R
From: Matt Ryan <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 11:49:31 -0700
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
> He is building on hdc using an existing kernel then making hdc the boot
> disk, so it becomes hda in a new system.  lilo records device numbers
> and gets confused by this process.
>
> The easiest method is to create the new system on hdc, do not run lilo,

actually, it's not too difficult to set lilo straight.  I have done
almost this exact same thing several times - that is, copy a linux
install over from hda to hdc, and run lilo on hdc so that it'll boot as
hda in a new box.

here's the lilo.conf file I used, and ran with a lilo -C ... the key
thing is the bios=0x80 line.  looking at the lilo.conf man page, this
might be sort of a hack, and machine/bios dependent, but it worked for
me.

boot=/dev/hdc
map=/mnt/boot/map
install=/mnt/boot/boot.b