Re: lilo -R

To: John <jsh_45@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: lilo -R
From: Keith Owens <kaos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 16:36:26 +1000
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, 20 May 2001 22:18:06 -0700 (PDT),
John <jsh_45@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>What I've done so far.  I have two drives partitioned
>the same way, hda and hdc.  My linux install resides
>on hda on ext2 and I have formated hdc with xfs.  I
>mounted the XFS disk under /mnt and did <find / -mount
>-print | cpio -pdm /mnt>.  Same goes for /boot and
>/var (so I have all my data on the xfs disk).  I then
>went to clean up the fstab @ /mnt/etc/fstab.  OK all
>is good till I try to run <lilo -R /mnt> (reports
>there is no image at /mnt).  Is there a way to cp the
>MBR from hda to hdc?  Any ideas of what I should do to
>finish this?

lilo -R selects an existing (installed) image, you have to run lilo
normally first to create the MBR and boot map.  Edit lilo.conf to set

  boot=/dev/hdc
  root=/dev/hdc<n>

then run

  ROOT=/mnt lilo -C /mnt/etc/lilo.conf

That will write the lilo MBR to hdc, using the specification in the hdc
version of lilo.conf and the boot files from /mnt/boot.

How are you going to boot from hdc, by telling the bios to use hdc or
by moving hdc to be the first disk (hdc -> hda)?  If you boot from hdc
by using the bios then you need to tell lilo where the boot disk was,
by adding these lines to lilo.conf.

disk=/dev/hdc
  bios=0x80

If you move hdc to become hda then you should be able to boot lilo from
the new hda, without the bios=0x80 setting.  You will almost certainly
have to specify a root=/dev/hda<n> parameter because lilo will have
installed using a root from hdc.  After booting successfully, edit
lilo.conf to set boot=/dev/hda and root=current then rerun lilo.