Re: lilo -R

To: John <jsh_45@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: lilo -R
From: Keith Owens <kaos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 16:36:26 +1000
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, 20 May 2001 22:18:06 -0700 (PDT),
John <jsh_45@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>What I've done so far.  I have two drives partitioned
>the same way, hda and hdc.  My linux install resides
>on hda on ext2 and I have formated hdc with xfs.  I
>mounted the XFS disk under /mnt and did <find / -mount
>-print | cpio -pdm /mnt>.  Same goes for /boot and
>/var (so I have all my data on the xfs disk).  I then
>went to clean up the fstab @ /mnt/etc/fstab.  OK all
>is good till I try to run <lilo -R /mnt> (reports
>there is no image at /mnt).  Is there a way to cp the
>MBR from hda to hdc?  Any ideas of what I should do to
>finish this?

lilo -R selects an existing (installed) image, you have to run lilo
normally first to create the MBR and boot map.  Edit lilo.conf to set

then run

  ROOT=/mnt lilo -C /mnt/etc/lilo.conf

That will write the lilo MBR to hdc, using the specification in the hdc
version of lilo.conf and the boot files from /mnt/boot.

How are you going to boot from hdc, by telling the bios to use hdc or
by moving hdc to be the first disk (hdc -> hda)?  If you boot from hdc
by using the bios then you need to tell lilo where the boot disk was,
by adding these lines to lilo.conf.

If you move hdc to become hda then you should be able to boot lilo from
the new hda, without the bios=0x80 setting.  You will almost certainly
have to specify a root=/dev/hda<n> parameter because lilo will have
installed using a root from hdc.  After booting successfully, edit
lilo.conf to set boot=/dev/hda and root=current then rerun lilo.