Question re: installation over network

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Question re: installation over network
From: kenneth.leung@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 19:42:18 +0200
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
All,

I am attempting to install SGI's Linux + XFS version 1.0 over our network. I
have created a boot floppy from the bootnet.img, and booted the new system
with this floppy. On another RedHat 7.1 system, I have the following ISO
images mounted and NFS exported.

/mnt/sgi-disk           (SGI XFS Installation CD)
/mnt/seawolf-disk1      (RedHat 7.1 CD #1)
/mnt/seawolf-disk2      (RedHat 7.1 CD #2)

I provide the name of the NFS server, and the /mnt/sgi-disk mount point so
that I can install Linux + XFS. The SGI installation begins, and seems to go
along smoothly. I set up networking, choose a time zone, choose my packages,
etc. However, when the package installation begins, it automatically fails,
complaining that it can't find an RPM in the /mnt/CDROM... directory.

I think the problem has to do with the fact that the installation never even
asks me where the RedHat 7.1 NFS mount points are! If the installation
doesn't know where all the mount points are, how can it possibly find the
files it needs? So, is my inherent setup flawed here?

Looking forward to your suggestions!
Ken

Kenneth Leung
IT Administrator