Re: XFS performance issue solved

To: Austin Gonyou <austin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS performance issue solved
From: Juha Saarinen <juha@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 08:30:51 +1200 (NZST)
Cc: "linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 14 May 2001, Austin Gonyou wrote:

> stupid mistake, big booboo. Next I went ahead and enabled the DMA support
> on this kernel. It was in fact NOT turned on. I also enabled PIIXn support
> and tuning.

This intrigues me -- you have an Athlon box with a VIA or ALi chip set
right? PIIX is Intel only.

> After doing that specific change, my system improved
> performance immediately. Good news there. After that, I continued further,
> using HDPARM and got a full 65-80% increase in throughput. I used the
> following options:
>
> hdparm -X66 -d1 -u1 -c3 -m16 /dev/hdx

You might want to experiment with the -a(n), -A1, -W1 flags
too. Just plain -c1 is probably a tiny bit quicker than -c3 (but it might
not work with your chip set).

If you have a newer drive, check with -i to see which UDMA mode it
supports. -X66 is UDMA 2; -X67, 68 and 69 could work on newer drives.

--
Regards,

Juha

PGP fingerprint:
B7E1 CC52 5FCA 9756 B502  10C8 4CD8 B066 12F3 9544