Re: CVS updates (was: biosize=13)

To: Federico Sevilla III <jijo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: CVS updates (was: biosize=13)
From: Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 14:52:09 -0400
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Federico Sevilla III wrote:

> On Mon, 14 May 2001 at 09:26, Steve Lord wrote:
> > you will need to apply this patch to a 2.4.4 tree and then do a cvs
> > update to get the current code base.
>
> A little clarification on CVS updates:
>
> So, I patch my Linux 2.4.4 tree with the 05022001 CVS patch, rename
> linux-2.4.4 to linux-2.4-xfs, cd linux-2.4-xfs, then 'cvs -z3 update -d'.
>
> How does CVS update know if a local file is in sync with the repository or
> not? I noticed that a lot of upstream transfers are made. Making cvs show
> me a trace using 'cvs -z3 update -d -t', I notice it's "sending" a lot of
> files to the server. Does the CVS client send the entire file to the
> server to be compared line by line?

All the revisions of each file is documented in CVS/Entries in each dir of
the
source tree.
It can then to version comparison and time stamp comparisons to find out if
file compares are needed. It's and ugly process and you can read more about
it
in the cvs documentation.

The fastest and least network intensive way to keep up to date it to use
CVSup.

--
Russell Cattelan