Re: XFS performance issue solved

To: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS performance issue solved
From: Austin Gonyou <austin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 13:43:25 -0500 (CDT)
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
As promised I got my kernel recompiled on my "work" machine. One thing
which seemed to impact performance were the Kernel Debug Symbols. Ok,
stupid mistake, big booboo. Next I went ahead and enabled the DMA support
on this kernel. It was in fact NOT turned on. I also enabled PIIXn support
and tuning. After doing that specific change, my system improved
performance immediately. Good news there. After that, I continued further,
using HDPARM and got a full 65-80% increase in throughput. I used the
following options:

hdparm -X66 -d1 -u1 -c3 -m16 /dev/hdx

All parameters work like a champ, and I can even use them on my cdrom as
well. Now, not only does the system work it's butt off, but I can finally
make ISO's from cd to the hdd with no real slowdown, not like it was
before, nearly unuseable.

The conclusion:
  The problem here is chipset dependant. The DMA settings seem to affect
the system either way depending on what chipset you use. At this point,
true INTEL chipsets seem to need it turned on to get really good
performance, while AMD chipsets could probably have it turned on, but seem
to perform better without it. I will recompile once again, at home, and
pass the hdparm params to my devices there and report back with specific
findings. Thanks for those of you whom offered information and got me
started in these directions.

--
Austin Gonyou
Systems Architect, CCNA