XFS performance issue solved

To: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: XFS performance issue solved
From: Austin Gonyou <austin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 23:22:39 -0500 (CDT)
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Some of you have been writing about slow access times to stuff like rpm
database, slocate db, etc. I've found one major thing which caused my
system to return to it's normal smoking self. I recently got a new
Athlon-C 1.333Ghz machine. I was very proud, and expected only the best
out of this machine. I use the full 1.0 installer for 7.1. After
installation, I discovered the RPM db was corrupt, and the system
basically thought almost no packages were installed, despite the fact it
booted with no real issues. I immediately got the 2.4.4 XFS devel tree,
and recompiled, cause I've found that the new tree is much better than the
default install version. My preference. Going through the recompile I
chose to use the Generic DMA selection. I even decided to choose my ALI
chipset. After rebooting the system was slightly better, no more devfs or
other non-essential overhead. But there was still some fundamental issue.
Pine, slocate, rpm, all were not NEARLY fast enough. I recompiled again,
this time with no generic DMA support or ALI support. My system now
performs like a 1.333 Ghz should. It smokes! File create/delete, and r/w
times are pretty darn good. In some respects better than they've ever
been. I'm going to hit this same build on my work box, a 433 Celeron, and
see what happens. That is the more problematic box overall, but I know
I've got similar options, regarding DMA, selected as well. I'll post when
I see success/failure on that front in the AM.

--
Austin Gonyou
Systems Architect, CCNA