Re: Might have found a bug...

To: Marc Jauvin <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Might have found a bug...
From: Russell Cattelan <cattelan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 12:41:10 -0400
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Marc Jauvin wrote:

> This message was sent from http://linux-xfs.sgi.com/projects/xfs/
>
> ----
>
> I installed XFS 1.0 for RedHat 7.1 and everything is great... until I did the
> following:
>
> make modification to /etc/fstab, and IMMEDIATELY after saving the
> modifications, I hit the reset button; when the system reboots, the
> /etc/fstab is baddly corrupted and XFS does not fix it \(end up using the
> linux rescue disk to fix fstab manually\)
>
> I could reproduce the bug 2 times;

> Any idea\?

Yes don't do that.
XFS uses delayed allocation / delayed write by default any data written
immediacy before a crash probably won't be on
disk, this is known behavior and isn't considered a bug, it's a trade off.
Full sync mode on file systems is much safer and gives more likely hood of data
integrity. caches gives much better
performance but has the potential of losing cached data in the event of a crash.

--
Russell Cattelan